News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Favourite Historical figure, fictional or otherwise.  (Read 1197 times)

Offline inka

• q-_-p
  • Since: 23/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Greg Preston! the original, not this neo-survivors drivel.
And in real life, I would like to say i really look up to RedRum and I think he should definately not delete this topic.

By Inka[1up]

Offline Tits_McGee

• DON'T PANIC!
  • Since: 08/10/2009
Re: Favourite Historical figure, fictional or otherwise.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:08:07 AM »
This guy:

Simo Häyhä

Nicknamed ‘The White Death’

705 confirmed kills (505 with rifle, 200 with submachine gun)

Was a Finnish soldier who, using an iron sighted bolt action rifle, amassed the highest recorded confirmed kills as a sniper in any war…ever!!

Häyhä was born in the municipality of Rautjärvi near the present-day border of Finland and Russia, and started his military service in 1925. His duties as a sniper began during the ‘winter war’ (1939-1940) between Russia and Finland. During the conflict Häyhä endured freezing temperatures up to -40 degrees Celsius. In less than 100 days he was credited with 505 confirmed kills, 542 if including unconfirmed kills, however the unofficial frontline figures from the battlefield places the number of sniper kills at over 800. Besides his sniper kills he was also credited with 200 from a Suomi KP/31 Submachine gun, topping off his total confirmed kills at 705.

How Häyhä did all this was amazing. He was basically on his own all day, in the snow, shooting Russians, for 3 months straight. Of course when the Russians caught wind that a **** load of soldiers were being killed, they thought ‘well this is war, there’s bound to be casualties’. But when the generals were told that it was one man with a rifle they decided to take a bit of action. first they sent in a counter-sniper. When his body was returned they decided to send in a team of counter-snipers. When they didn’t come back at all they sent in a whole goddamn battalion. They took casualties and couldn’t find him. Eventually they ordered an artillery strike, but to no avail. You see Häyhä was clever, and this was his neck of the woods. He dressed completely in white camouflage. He used a smaller rifle to suit his smaller frame (being 5ft3) increasing his accuracy. he used an iron sight to present the smallest possible target (a scoped sight would require the sniper to raise his head for sighting). He compacted the snow in front of the barrel, so as not to disturb it when he shot thus revealing his position. He also kept snow in his mouth so his breath did not condense and reveal where his was. Eventually however his was shot in the jaw by a stray bullet during combat on March 6 1940. He was picked up by his own soldiers who said half his head was missing. He didn’t die however and regained consciousness on the 13th, the day peace was declared.

Once again total kills…. 505 sniper + 200 submachine = 705 total Confirmed Kills…all in less that 100 days.

Offline RedRumOnE

• ____Asylum____
  • I am an island
  • Since: 04/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:29:37 PM »
lol thank you Inka :D That means alot to me

I look up to Stacey Aka Kitty[1up]

She pushes me to be better than i was the past day each and every day so i can one day be with her.

I know its all on the internet and i've never met her, But when you find something in life to work for and try your best at being with or receiving you go all out for it even if your dreams will 1 day turn to nightmares, Life is scary but i'm willing to take that one step into the dark room, Or stay in the bathroom with the lights out as the toilet flushes.

I've got a driving force and i make sure that the tip of my spear is sharp so no matter what obstacle i face i will fly through it and break its shackles of oppression

“The whole value of solitude depends upon one's self; it may be a sanctuary or a prison, a haven of repose or a place of punishment, a heaven or a hell, as we ourselves make it”

Offline White^lynx

• meoow
  • Since: 09/09/2009
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 04:29:08 PM »
This guy:

Simo Häyhä

Nicknamed ‘The White Death’

705 confirmed kills (505 with rifle, 200 with submachine gun)

Was a Finnish soldier who, using an iron sighted bolt action rifle, amassed the highest recorded confirmed kills as a sniper in any war…ever!!

Häyhä was born in the municipality of Rautjärvi near the present-day border of Finland and Russia, and started his military service in 1925. His duties as a sniper began during the ‘winter war’ (1939-1940) between Russia and Finland. During the conflict Häyhä endured freezing temperatures up to -40 degrees Celsius. In less than 100 days he was credited with 505 confirmed kills, 542 if including unconfirmed kills, however the unofficial frontline figures from the battlefield places the number of sniper kills at over 800. Besides his sniper kills he was also credited with 200 from a Suomi KP/31 Submachine gun, topping off his total confirmed kills at 705.

How Häyhä did all this was amazing. He was basically on his own all day, in the snow, shooting Russians, for 3 months straight. Of course when the Russians caught wind that a **** load of soldiers were being killed, they thought ‘well this is war, there’s bound to be casualties’. But when the generals were told that it was one man with a rifle they decided to take a bit of action. first they sent in a counter-sniper. When his body was returned they decided to send in a team of counter-snipers. When they didn’t come back at all they sent in a whole goddamn battalion. They took casualties and couldn’t find him. Eventually they ordered an artillery strike, but to no avail. You see Häyhä was clever, and this was his neck of the woods. He dressed completely in white camouflage. He used a smaller rifle to suit his smaller frame (being 5ft3) increasing his accuracy. he used an iron sight to present the smallest possible target (a scoped sight would require the sniper to raise his head for sighting). He compacted the snow in front of the barrel, so as not to disturb it when he shot thus revealing his position. He also kept snow in his mouth so his breath did not condense and reveal where his was. Eventually however his was shot in the jaw by a stray bullet during combat on March 6 1940. He was picked up by his own soldiers who said half his head was missing. He didn’t die however and regained consciousness on the 13th, the day peace was declared.

Once again total kills…. 505 sniper + 200 submachine = 705 total Confirmed Kills…all in less that 100 days.

what would that be on call duty... 705 straight kills that would probably be an atom bomb im betting

Look how people treat their inferiors, not their superiors.

Offline Lurker

• Since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 05:32:07 PM »
snow in his mouth to keep his breath from showing? I don't believe that. He'd have to bury snow in his nose too. Besides, if you stuff snow down your throat deep enough, it suffocates you.

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
  • Since: 11/11/2009
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
snow in his mouth to keep his breath from showing? I don't believe that. He'd have to bury snow in his nose too. Besides, if you stuff snow down your throat deep enough, it suffocates you.

Its a sniper trick IIRC.  I believe Carlos Hathcock spoke of similar methods, but I could be mistaken.

There are many historical figures that I really look up to, and Carlos Hathcock is one of them.  If any of you would have a little bit of time, look him up and read about his contribution and support to the USA during the Vietnam War.

Politically, Ronald Reagan is my hero.  In my view, he was one of the last of a dying breed: Men of principal.  There aren't many people still living today that will accept and follow through with the principal of Political Conservatism the way that he did.  Under his influence, the Soviet Union fell.  The world is a better place because of him.

There are also quite a few good historical figures recorded in the Bible... Gideon, David, Hezekiah, Nehemiah, and of course, Jesus.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

No nation ever taxed itself into prosperity.
-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Shans

• 1up believes in 2nd chances.
  • Since: 21/06/2009
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:27:28 AM »
A bearcat.

SnKCoffeeBlacks