News: 1up Discord VOIP
Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Define a Clan  (Read 5430 times)

PsYc0TiC

Define a Clan
« on: December 04, 2010, 06:34:51 PM »
I was just wondering what everyone thinks defines a clan

1) Do they have to have a website?
2) Do they have to have a tag?
3) Does the tag have to have some kind of special characters surrounding it for it to be a "tag"?
4) Do they have to have server(s)?
5) Does a group of people that are friends and play the same game classify as a clan?

WEBOPEDIA defines a clan as:

Clan

A clan refers to a group of gamers who form a team to compete against others over the Internet in multiplayer games.

WordIQ defines a clan as:

In computer and video gaming, a clan is a group of players who regularly play together in a particular multiplayer game, generally as a team. Clans also act as social groups, with players often meeting up both on and offline.

Comments?

Offline rondonboy

• Just you're typical Australian
  • Since: 25/09/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Define a Clan
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 06:38:19 PM »
Well 1up has all of those and I agree, every clan should at least have a website and 1 or more severs.

Offline EddieLee

• Since: 20/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 07:31:57 PM »
Ive been in clans very organized, with not only 1 but several game servers, official tags, command chains, position specific responsabilities, admin lvls, scrim teams, ts servers, with competition reputation, general and map specific sexy strategies for competitions (done by yours truly  ;) ), one of them with more than 7 or 8 years of existence, etc, etc, etc... then again, ive also been in clans with no more than common gameplay hours in someone else's servers.

I think what defines a clan are its members declaring they are a clan, if the members of a gaming group declare that said specific group its not a clan, then clear as water, its not a clan.

Just my 2 cents (which are mexican cents so they are like .20 usa cents xD lol)

8)
I like to quit important things. --Eddie

Offline sniper#420[1up]

• *[1up] Member
  • roll it light it smoke it enjoy it
  • Since: 01/11/2009
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:36:38 PM »
Ive been in clans very organized, with not only 1 but several game servers, official tags, command chains, position specific responsabilities, admin lvls, scrim teams, ts servers, with competition reputation, general and map specific sexy strategies for competitions (done by yours truly  ;) ), one of them with more than 7 or 8 years of existence, etc, etc, etc... then again, ive also been in clans with no more than common gameplay hours in someone else's servers.

I think what defines a clan are its members declaring they are a clan, if the members of a gaming group declare that said specific group its not a clan, then clear as water, its not a clan.

8)
x2 +1
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 08:39:28 PM by sniper#420[1up] »

PsYc0TiC

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 12:02:33 AM »
rondonboy... should? ias that defining?

EddieLee
then again, ive also been in clans with no more than common gameplay hours in someone else's servers.

You are saying that a group of players have to declare they are not a clan to not be?

Personally.... in my opinion a clan is a group of people that share a common name characteristic no matter what that may be, and play together regardless of declaration.

If several people don the names 123unique_name_here they are a clan even if there is no website, game servers or declaration. Other wise all of them would have 100% unique names and just be friends.

Offline SnKQuaKe

• *Friend of 1up
  • Keep it simple stupid
  • Since: 25/11/2009
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 12:55:43 AM »
Your only a clan if you have the [1up] tag, otherwise your just wannabes :P
“You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”

Offline White^lynx

• meoow
  • Since: 09/09/2009
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:33:04 AM »

8)
x2 +1

x3 i think it must be a group of gamers and it has to be declared unless its painfuly obvious they are working together.

Look how people treat their inferiors, not their superiors.

Offline EddieLee

• Since: 20/10/2010
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 01:40:04 AM »
You are saying that a group of players have to declare they are not a clan to not be?

Personally.... in my opinion a clan is a group of people that share a common name characteristic no matter what that may be, and play together regardless of declaration.

If several people don the names 123unique_name_here they are a clan even if there is no website, game servers or declaration. Other wise all of them would have 100% unique names and just be friends.

Ok, ill throw in some examples from my own experience:

Years ago when i switched from BnB to JZM for competition interests there was a couple of weeks inbetween in which i would be deciding which direction to go, while i decided i was playing with several friends whom were also exBnBers and were without a clan, for ****s and giggles we added the tag .SH. (or something like that) to our names, when ppl would ask what does SH means and if they could join our "clan" we always said: "it means "sexual harassment" and no you cant join coz we are not a clan, we are just friends who know each other from a long time ago", and it was true, we didnt had any servers, forums, website, competition scene presence... NOTHING, just the tag.

Now, lets do another example more recent: when i started playing UrT again i did it to play with some friends from a linux community called "This Week In Linux", they have (or had) gaming nights, and one of the members decided to rent a server coz hes cool like that, while playing he and his friend who helped setup the server created and used the |AC!D| tag, they also setup a website and a ts server, a forum (http://acidlinux.com/?q=forum), etc, but when they first started i asked them what was the recruitment process, they lol´d and told me there was none, i was free to put the acid tag since they were not a clan, it was just for gaming nights, so even with all that, it was just a group of ppl who enjoyed playing together whom also had a interest in common (linux being the freaking win :) ), who, when asked also declared they werent a clan, now i dont know if they still arent a clan or not, i havent contacted any of them since i started playing at 1up servers :).

"and play together regardless of declaration"...

how does that even makes sense? are you bestowing upon someone the clan status against their will? lol ok.

8)
I like to quit important things. --Eddie

Offline Zoro

• Zoro
  • Since: 15/11/2010
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 01:45:43 AM »
Well 1up has all of those and I agree, every clan should at least have a website and 1 or more severs.
Wat rondonboy said

PsYc0TiC

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 02:23:59 PM »
Wat rondonboy said

sigh.... no opinion

or are you 2 trying to say that if they have a website they are a clan and if they do not they aren't? Is it that black & white?

Offline RonaldLee[1up]

• *[1up] Clan Founder
  • [1up] UrT Admin
  • [1up] KF Admin
  • [1upZ] NMRiH Admin
  • [1upZ] Zombie
  • 1up Founder
  • Since: 02/03/2009
    • 1up Clan
    • Youtube's channel
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 02:35:45 PM »
A clan can be a group of people who recognize each other and adorn a special identification tag. No server or web or voip is actually required to form and maintain that agreement. Now in the Boner#420 case, which is what this thread can help to clarify --I hope-- there was a website, special tag, servers, join-up theme, voip, a notice that FtW team would be formed, and Xfire page, and I suppose other things. What elements of a clan did Boner#420 not create?

There are clans that have no servers and only a cheap, garbage-style free website. They have the tag and they use email, Xfire or other programs to message back and forth.

1up will determine in its sole discretion whether someone is running a clan for the purposes of applying our prohibition on dual-clan policy.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:30:47 AM by RonaldLee[1up] »

Offline FedoraMike

• Since: 27/04/2009
    • My Webpage/Portfolio - Under Construction
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 10:36:33 PM »
A clan can be a group of people who recognize each other and adorn a special identification tag. No server or web or voip is actually required to form and maintain that agreement. Now in the Boner#420 case, which is what this thread can help to clarify --I hope-- there was a website, special tag, servers, join-up theme, voip, a notice that FtW team would be formed, and Xfire page, and I suppose other things. What elements of a clan did Boner#420 not create?

There are clans that have no servers and only a cheap, garbage-style free website. They have the tag and they use email, Xfire or other programs to message back and forth.

1up will determine in its sole discretion whether someone is running a clan for the purposes of apply our prohibition on dual-clan policy.

+1

I think the biggest thing is really the clan tag itself.  Wearing a symbol like that along with other gamers generally signifies being in a clan,  the formatting of the tag doesn't really matter IMO.  Bars, Brackets, Parenthesis, front, back, none at all... shouldn't make a difference, clan tag is a clan tag.  Granted the may be some exceptions.  There's nothing wrong with being a part of other online "communities" through applications like steam or xfire though.  In fact it's actually beneficial not only to you but to your clan as it provides access to other contacts to discuss/share info, find scrims, or even find new players to recruit.  It allows you to be more connected to the overall gaming community which is good IMO.  It was pretty obvious what Boner was doing was a clan, with the tag being a major factor IMO.

Offline Bizzy

• Live. love. Laugh.
  • Since: 02/10/2009
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 10:56:50 PM »
Bars, Brackets, Parenthesis, front, back, none at all... shouldn't make a difference, clan tag is a clan tag.  Granted the may be some exceptions.  There's nothing wrong with being a part of other online "communities" through applications like steam or xfire though.  In fact it's actually beneficial not only to you but to your clan as it provides access to other contacts to discuss/share info, find scrims, or even find new players to recruit.  It allows you to be more connected to the overall gaming community which is good IMO.
Well Said. Here Is my Question  though.
 Is 1up Clan a community or a clan? Is there a line that divides that?
A community IMO is several groups, or clans that
provides access to other contacts to discuss/share info, find scrims, or even find new players to recruit.
A clan IMO is just 1 group that socializes with a specific game, or game. Please Correct Me on this if you think I am wrong.

JJ!<3

PsYc0TiC

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
1up will determine in its sole discretion whether someone is running a clan for the purposes of apply our prohibition on dual-clan policy.

RonaldLee... this thread had and has nothing to do with the Boner situation... heck, I don't even know the particulars on that one.

I was only trying to see what others think on the subject.

However, on that note...
A clan can be a group of people who recognize each other and adorn a special identification tag. No server or web or voip is actually required to form and maintain that agreement.

Now I am not trying to start trouble here so this is an example you might remember I brought up in my application:
Snkbourbon[1up]
SnKPoe[1up]
SNKQuaKe[1up]
SnKTank[1up]
snkFLOYD
SnKGoogleIt
SnKQuaKeswife

This was an example of "a group of people who recognize each other and adorn a special identification tag" i.e. "SNK" at the beginning of their names.

you could also recognize: (I don't know that all of these 420's know each other)
sniper#420[1up]
Boner#420[formerly 1up]
darkside420
skaterkid420
Scotty420

Does it have to have {}, (), [], or other special characters surrounding the common letters to be considered a tag?

Personally I have shut down the part of my website that is clan related and only keep it because of the fact that I have servers and there needs to be an outlet for information regarding them. I also will remain wearing the [BN] in front of my name simply because I have servers but I no longer consider BN as a clan... how about everyone else... is it still a clan this way?

Boner#420

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 12:29:41 AM »
as far as the servers and vent yea [BF] does have them getting a new 1 in a few days. but there was no ftw anywhere intill after i was kicked. i had planed on playing ftw with 1up EVERYBODY ELSE IS IN BONER FORCE IS IN A CLAN!!!!!!
and ron you said in my email that you look at the web site and the xfire page. but then in the forum you said you where told. do you even know any thing about this at all? or our you just moving blind?