Invite Code: https://discord.gg/VPv9JhP

Author Topic: Tires  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Term

• Since: 12/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Youtube's channel
Tires
« on: February 14, 2011, 12:10:59 AM »
I am hoping to get some new rims and tires for my 1991 GMC Sierra and I was wondering if anybody had any opinions. I was thinking of getting some 18's with All Terrain tires, but I am really open to anything and was just seeing whats out there. Post some pics or name and brand and I'll check them out.

Offline Hustler

• Since: 21/12/2010
Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:37:03 AM »
Knee-cappers all the way. (across the sky)

The Future ain't what it used to be.

I punched a tree at the park yesterday and my hand bleeded and I cried. And I love Minecraft even more.

Offline Term

• Youtube's channel
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 01:10:35 AM »
Knee-cappers all the way. (across the sky)

Knee-cappers?  ::) ??? :|

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
  • Since: 11/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 01:15:38 AM »
What do you do with your truck?  Tow/haul, go off road, drive around town, or a bit of all three?

There are several options.  First of all, if your truck only has 15" wheels, upgrade to at least 16" wheels.  Good tires are cheaper, and there are several Load Range E tires available at very reasonable prices.  If you already have 16" wheels, you could just buy nice tires and the get a set of simulators.  You could also look for a set of factory take offs.  People with new trucks buy nice wheels and tires, and will usually sell off the factory set for really cheap (200-300 dollars or so).

Answer what you do with your truck and we'll try to give you some advise.  :)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

No nation ever taxed itself into prosperity.
-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Term

• Youtube's channel
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 01:34:17 AM »
What do you do with your truck?  Tow/haul, go off road, drive around town, or a bit of all three?

There are several options.  First of all, if your truck only has 15" wheels, upgrade to at least 16" wheels.  Good tires are cheaper, and there are several Load Range E tires available at very reasonable prices.  If you already have 16" wheels, you could just buy nice tires and the get a set of simulators.  You could also look for a set of factory take offs.  People with new trucks buy nice wheels and tires, and will usually sell off the factory set for really cheap (200-300 dollars or so).

Answer what you do with your truck and we'll try to give you some advise.  :)

All three. and I have 15's right now but they are wide rims and tires. That is the main reason I want to get rid of them. They aren't good on Ice, snow, water, or mud. They are great on gravel dirt and asphalt. Also hard to turn. I do haul a lot of stuff. Some heavy and some not so heavy. The reason I want 18' is it will give it a lift with out having to buy a lift kit. They will fit on my truck because that is what was on it before I bought it but the guy put the old rims and tires back on it. There is nothing wrong with the rims on it nor the tires. The tires still have about 80 percent grip on them. They just aren't for me and plus I know a guy that already wants them. Also like I said I would want some All Terrain tires. Not to aggressive "not grapplers" but something that will grip but not an overkill.

Offline Hustler

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 01:36:58 AM »
Knee-cappers are those knife type thingos that come out form your rims. They are called knee cappers because they are at knee height (idfk?)

:L

but srsly. get em'.

I punched a tree at the park yesterday and my hand bleeded and I cried. And I love Minecraft even more.

Offline Term

• Youtube's channel
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 01:43:27 AM »
Knee-cappers are those knife type thingos that come out form your rims. They are called knee cappers because they are at knee height (idfk?)

:L

but srsly. get em'.

Umm sounds neat but not my style man but I would like to see a pic of them. "I looked on the Internet and didn't find any."

Thanks anyways

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 01:43:55 AM »
16" wheels with 245/85/16 (or similar size) BFGoodrich AT TA KO Load E tires are probably the best bet.  Your truck will sit much higher, but you won't have wheels that will be easily damaged, nor will you have any issues with towing, hauling, or in-climate weather.  Get either a set of factory takeoff rims, a set of steelies that are painted black, or a set of steelies with simulators.  This setup would probably be the most versatile.  The BFGoodrich tires last upwards of 80k miles if they're properly inflated.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
-Ronald Reagan

-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Term

• Youtube's channel
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 02:15:44 AM »
So why are you recommending me to get 16" wheels?

Offline Poe

• *Friend of 1up
  • AKA: SnKPoe
  • Since: 25/10/2009
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 02:31:23 AM »
Your truck will sit much higher, but you won't have wheels that will be easily damaged, nor will you have any issues with towing, hauling, or in-climate weather. 

What's in-climate weather?

Offline Hustler

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 02:57:07 AM »
lawls its from saints row :3

I personally like these ones :L
http://www.speedsportlife.com/photopost/data/1087/thumbs/donkey_kong_2.jpg

Offline Term

• Youtube's channel
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 02:59:48 AM »
lawls its from saints row :3

I personally like these ones :L
http://www.speedsportlife.com/photopost/data/1087/thumbs/donkey_kong_2.jpg

Lol they are just a little bit to big ;P

Offline Term

• Youtube's channel
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 03:19:57 AM »
How about some LT265/65R18/E

Offline SnKMaddog

• *Friend of 1up
  • Capitalist Pig
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 04:40:51 AM »
So why are you recommending me to get 16" wheels?

As I said, if you do any towing/hauling, you need Load Range E tires.  Lets examine cost for a minute. 

BFGoodrich AT T/A KO Load E tires (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO):

285/65/18: $269/ea - $1,076/set
265/65/18: $245/ea - $980/set
265/75/16: $185/ea - $740/set

Dick Cepek DC-2 Wheels (http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=1168431BMF&wheelMake=Dick+Cepek&wheelModel=DC-2&wheelFinish=Machined+w%2FBlack+Accent&showRear=no&autoMake=GMC&autoModel=Sierra+2wd+Pick-up&autoYear=1991&autoModClar=&filterFinish=All&filterSize=16&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand):

18": $183/ea - $732/set
16": $139/ea - $556/set

16" Takeoffs w/o tires range from $200-400/set
16" Takeoffs w/tires range from $250-600/set

I guess if you have a huge budget, then buy what you want, but being that you're driving an older truck like me, you probably don't.  Additionally, with an 18" wheel, you have much less sidewall.  Any rocks, curbs, potholes, etc could trash your expensive wheels very easily.  16" can still look good, but have far fewer risks of damage.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 04:59:01 AM by Maddog[1up] »

-Ronald Reagan

-Rush Limbaugh

Offline Gemma

• The devil isn't red.
  • Since: 21/07/2010
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 10:58:52 AM »
I believe in keeping work and play separate.  In other words, don't put off-road tires on it if you actually need it for work.  They won't last.  For play though, I'm a bfg fan boy.  I hate the 'all-terrain' tires.  At least in my country, they don't really offer much more than something way too soft that gets worn down on the street, and basically just clog's with mud so they're like trying to 4wheel with glazed donuts on your truck.  I'm a big fan of bfg mud terrain.

edit: Its hard to say though.  I live in a desert.  You gotta get what suits your country.